Monday, July 2, 2012

Zurich

We drove to Zurich at the end of last week because Peter had a business meeting. We stayed two nights so we could check out the city a little. The drive was almost 6 hours, but much of the view along the road was absolutely breathtaking. I even drove for a while on the auto strada among those crazy Europeans (ahem, Italians)! While Peter was at the office, I toured around the lake and central areas. Then we found a great pub to watch Italy beat Germany in the Euro Cup semi-finals. Although Italy lost (dramatically and horribly) to Spain in the finals last night, the celebration in Zurich after the semi-final win was really fun. People were honking and hooting through the streets for hours after the game. It turns out the southern part of Switzerland is Italian-speaking (even the road signs), and Italian is among their four official languages.


The border

we named this section the "indoor highway"



The San Gotardo Pass


This is the same little train we took on our honeymoon

One of many crazy bicyclists


I don't even think this massive rock is famous because the terrain everywhere is just that intense

Lake Zurich has these great boardwalks and paths

Look how clear the water is! You can drink right from the lake, and it's next to a huge city

I kind of messed up using the panoramic feature on my camera here, but it's still cool

Snow-capped Alps in the distance... and it was HOT around the lake.

I had a nice lunch at the little cafe in the distance




Students (presumably) sunning and swimming. (No lewd comments regarding a particular "view"! lol)

"Let's add a happy little swan right here..."

The Promenade area, just to the right in the pic above


Viva Italia! At Le Calvados right after the match. My pics of the huge crowd in the square outside did not come out, but it was so crowded and fun! Note my sweet new Team Italia shirt:)

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures are breathtaking. It's cool that you saw your honeymoon train, maybe someone else is honeymooning on it and just starting their adventure. I love the indoor highway. I had vicarious fun looking at all of the pictures. Thanks for the great update. ~June

    ReplyDelete